Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Party at My Place

A few weeks ago Gracie insisted on getting a bird house when we were shopping one day. We hung it in my favorite tree...A beautiful Chilean Mesquite off of our patio. A few days later, when no birds had taken up residence, she announced that no birds could live there because there was no food. So we hung a bird feeder. At first we had only a few birdie visitors. The first week we only filled it once. Now, 3 weeks later, I fill it in the morning and in the evening. I could fill it more, but I decided twice a day was plenty.

Now, every morning and evening we have dozens of feathery friends that come to visit. There are several pairs of House Finches with their brightly colored chests. We have one Oriole who likes to come nibble the oranges I put out for him (I've never seen him with any girlie friends, so I wonder if he's the only one around?). We have several Veiled Chickadees, the obligatory Morning Doves, the occasional wren and my absolute favorite...The Titmouse (I need to thank the guy who named that one. It makes me chuckle like a 5th grader who just found a dirty word in the dictionary). Even the local Quail seem to have made themselves at home. I counted 5 pair the other day. They are all wonderful except the Mocking Bird who sat in a tree all night Saturday and went through his cycle of copy-cat chirps and drove me batty. Since when do birds sing at night?

I sat all weekend watching the birds squabble and eat the treats we put out for them. I would get up at 5:30ish and get my coffee and sit on the patio just enjoying their songs and playfulness. It was so peaceful. Some time sitting and thinking about nothing but the birds. Just enjoying their company.

I can't help but be grateful for them. Grateful for their presence in our yard. But, maybe I'm just grateful for the diversion.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM , Blogger KB said...

    I hear your mocking bird's not so fond of plastic golf clubs.... ;)

     
  • At 3:37 PM , Blogger lorem ipsum said...

    I love watching our birds, however there is one mockingbird who has picked up the sound of a car alarm and 'goes off' every morning.

    Cheep cheep cheep bloop bloop bloop wahh wahh wahh wahh...

     
  • At 5:43 PM , Blogger pithydithy said...

    We started with the one feeder that had been left at the house when we moved in....then DH found two more in the garage...then he discovered bags of seeds, bird bells, and suet blocks....then I realized that we simultaneously have 4-6 feeders out at any given time and they we are officially crazy. Watch out-- it's not just the birds that multiply. They are very soothing, though. I love the thought of being made so happy by a sack of sunflower seeds.

     
  • At 7:52 PM , Blogger formerteacher said...

    Sounds very soothing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home