Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I hate my job, I love my job, I hate my job....

Have a new client that is wanting to put a building on the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. VERY remote location. They happen to be an airline (small sight-seeing only outfit) and flew me and a few of their guys out to the site today. Small plane (20 seater turbo-prop jobbie), it was 104 here today, 45 minute flight, NO AIR, and did I mention I get air sick? No? Well, let me just share...

Flight was supposed to leave at 8:30 (really left at 9:30), so I was a good girl and took the Dramamine at 7:30. No trouble on the flight out. Perfect. A few bumps, a little hot, but it was early, no too bad. Yet.

Got there (what a rat hole), did my girl-in-construction-bossy-thing. Finished at like 11:00...Flight home was at 1:10. No lunch. Had some stupid-lame-ass snack bar, so I had a bottle of water, a Baby Ruth and a bag of Lays. Not so smart. Thought I was back in high school or something. Anyway, I digress...

So flight home is late, we leave at like 1:45. IT'S FREAKING HELLISHLY HOT. Did I mention that the plane had no air (seriously, Jusin? Laura? WTF? It's the GD desert. What were they thinking? People pay for this shit?)? Yeah, it didn't. So we get up and it's much more bumpy going home. Like holy shit bumpy. So I try to keep it together and finally just pray to God that if I'm going to puke in front of my clients and (subordinate co-worker) can I please just keep it all in the little bag and not make a mess and embarrass myself (okay, embarrass myself worse than just puking infront of them all by getting it all over myself and God knows where else).

So, because God seems to have listened this time, I did manage to keep it all in the bag (WOW! Those things hold more than I thought!!). The cabin was super loud, so I think only the people directly in front of and behind me heard. Luckily I won't be seeing those nice folks from Australia again, unfortunately I will be seeing everyone else who heard again, and often.

So, the moral of the story is...

When the Dramamine SAYS it is for 12 hours, it's a FUCKING LIE. It lasts less than 6.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM , Blogger laura said...

    okay, justin's employer flies some puddle jumpers, but nothing that small, and nothing without air, so don't blame him.

    we flew in a nine-seater across the isthmus of panama to get to our tragically-hip-remote vacation spot off the coast of colombia. no air - but we were allowed to open the windows for ventilation! which means we could smell the fuel - and nothing but the fuel. it was god-awful. so i feel for you.

    you know what is 100 times better than dramamine is meclazine. ask your pharmacist. tiny blue pills of magic. they work faster, better, longer. they kick dramamine's ass.

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger formerteacher said...

    How awful!!! I cannot stand heat like that, so I can sympathesize with you on that. And no air??? WTF were these people thinking! Glad that you were able to keep everything 'contained', though.

     
  • At 7:31 PM , Blogger kate said...

    Ugh...that sounds just miserable!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home