Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Friday, March 07, 2008

So Much for Country Living

When we bought this house, I was so excited to get to have a big dog again. We have over three acres, we're set back from the road by at least an acre and a half, we are forrested on three sides, our closest neighbor is at least an acre and a half away AND we have enough grass in the front that when we can throw the ball for Rifle, we can throw the hell out of the ball and really wear him out.

So, imagine my surprise when the mail lady delivered a letter from the township advising us that we have violated the barking dog ordinance. Seriously? Firstly, our dogs are inside dogs. The big guy is only out when it's warm enough, which lately has been very seldom. the little guys are only out to go potty partly because of the cold and partly because of the large, predatory birds around here.

Barking dogs? Can you hear them from inside mt house? Don't think so. Does it bother you that he barks when he happens to be outside and he barks from a damn acre away? Really? Cuz, get over it. I WANT him to bark when someone is coming up to the house. It's his freaking job. I am here alone so much of the time, I NEED him to alert me when something is off.

We have only one neighbor in front who may be the one who called, she's odd. But, why not just come say something. I know he's been let out front a few times by people helping me out. And I know he has barked at you while you were hanging your laundry and your ADULT son was playing basketball in your yard. And yes, we have yelled at him to get back in his yard and yes he's a little rambunctious of late. That's because I CAN'T WALK TO GET OUT AND WEAR HIM OUT! Could you come to my door and say something? You have to call the freaking township?

Christ people. He's not an incessant barker. I swear, I'm home all damn day and when I'm not he's inside. WTF!? we've been here a year and it's just now an issue? Come the hell on.

Any of you lawyers out there know how far the township can take this and how much information I'm within my rights to get? I mean, is it really that he barks too much (doubtful) or did he run up at you and scare you? He does have a menacing bark, but he's not mean (honest). I really find it hard to believe that this is just about the barking. There's not enough opportunity for there to be barking.

Ideas?

7 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

    Where I live they can only fine you if the dog is barking when a police officer or animal control officer witnesses it, and it has to last more than 5 minutes.

    Aren't you glad you don't live in an apartment? That neighbor would really find stuff to complain about.

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger Kathy McC said...

    Sounds like a nosy neighbor who has nothing better to do with her time. :-(

    I don't think there's much they can do to you.

     
  • At 3:28 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

    What township are you in? Email me. Kate94651@hotmail.com

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger mah-meeee said...

    my neighbor had once complained about my 23 lb dog barking too much. which then i was really pissed because my dog is an inside dog! however pretty soon after i found out that it wasn't my dog that was barking after all. i was so pissed...

    over here where i live, unless your dog is barking at night outside, there really isn't much they can do about it.

    hope you get that resolved soon!

     
  • At 12:06 PM , Blogger JMB said...

    First things first, get a copy of the ordinance, and if they didn't give it to you, a copy of the complaint. I'm curious to see if they list who made the complaint. If not, there may be a due process issue here as well. At least then you know what you are up against. I have a hunch that Catherine can walk you through the rest. God, some people are just a-holes without anything better to do.

     
  • At 3:20 PM , Blogger KB said...

    Oh for Pete's sake, stick him on a plane to OK and he can come bark his fool head off with my neighbor's dogs..... who, I might add, we don't complain about (except to roll our eyes and wonder what they are barking about).

    People are chickenshits though. It's easier to file a complaint and let the "authorities" deal with it than actually speak to your neighbors.....

    And quit worrying about large predatory birds. I hear they like Mexican food!

     
  • At 8:11 AM , Blogger niobe said...

    No ideas, but lots of sympathy. I won't bore you with all the, uh, issues we've had with our neighbors, but I've definitely learned that some people have far too much time on their hands.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home