Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend


Atlas came to me at a time in my life when it seemed that I couldn't make a good decision to save my ass. I was in the middle of a divorce. I was in the beginning of a crappy relationship. I had just lost my job. I even wrote a hot check to the lady I bought him from (it cashed). Within two months of him being with me, I moved across the country and that was when our friendship took root.

He loved me when I thought no one else loved me, not even me. He was there when I lost my babies. He was there when my babies were born. He sat with me while I cried and let me snuggle into his soft coat. He sat on my lap while I cried through my hurt. For a little dog, he had a huge heart.

When I needed to get out, he was right at my side. He hiked in canyons where he loved to run and chase snakes and tarantulas. He loved to cross the creeks and rivers even if it meant a short swim. He loved long drives where he could stick his snout in the wind. He loved chasing the horses and cattle at the farm in Texas.
I thought I'd lost him a half-dozen times. He chased cars, he fell out of cars, he even once got hit by a semi-truck. I don't think he ever realized that he was the little guy. What a little adventurer. I couldn't have wished for a better partner for my adventures. There would have been no one who could do it as good as he could. No one could even come close.
He loved kids. He was never aggressive with Gracie even though she chased him and pulled his hair. He was as gentle as any parent could hope a family pet would be with the kids. Even when Nat came, he would just give her soft Muttley kisses and make her giggle.

For thirteen years you've been my constant companion. You watched me grow up. I love you Little Muttley. You'll always be the Alpha here, pal.

11 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Jillian said...

    I'm so sorry Michelle. He sounds like much more than a pet, more like a lifeline. ((hugs))

     
  • At 2:47 PM , Blogger Kathy McC said...

    ((((hugs)))) I am sorry you lost your pup.

     
  • At 5:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi, I'm new to your post, but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your friend. He sounds like an amazing animal.

     
  • At 7:00 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

    I'm sorry about your little furry one. I lost my old friend last year and I still miss him. There's something about going through so much together that binds you forever to those crazy pups.

     
  • At 12:25 PM , Blogger Amy said...

    So sorry about your pup...I have tears reading your post. I had to put down our dog in 2003 (she was 12) and it still hurts to think about it. I now have 2 crazy 4 legged boys who keep me happy. Hope you can find some peace in his passing.

     
  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger HereWeGoAJen said...

    I'm so sorry. He was a beautiful dog.

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Kellie with an "ie" said...

    I'm so sorry. You were lucky to have each other.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger The Nanny said...

    I'm so very sorry. What a beautiful puppy.

     
  • At 7:55 PM , Blogger JMB said...

    It always amazes me how animals can give us so much more than humans can sometimes. I'm sorry for your loss, and hope that you remember nothing but the good moments and the Muttley kisses.

     
  • At 8:21 AM , Blogger jen @ negative lane said...

    I'm so sorry to hear about Muttley. I lost my dog, Oscar, recently, so I just had to come over from Lost and Found to give my support. Hang in there -- it gets better.

    (By the way, I am sooo jealous that you saw Jon and Kate. It's my dream to run into them in public, too. But although I'm in PA also, I'm not anywhere near them).

     
  • At 11:16 AM , Blogger formerteacher said...

    I am so sorry! Losing a pet is so difficult, and if you've never had one, you just can't understand. Muttley was so beautiful! What type of dog was he? What a great family dog too. You must all miss him very much, and for good reason, too!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home