Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

To Explain...

In my post yesterday, I mentioned that I had 8 eggs in my ovaries... Let me explain. I am a moron and the doc had to explain it to me yesterday. I just assumed I was the only one who didn't understand, but here's the deal... And for the record, I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who didn't really get it.

We are born with a couple million immature eggs already in our ovaries. Every month (after we are sexually "mature" of course) your brain sends out a chemical called FSH that tells the brain to get a few of them ready for ovulation. My understanding is that the usual number is around 16. As those eggs mature, most of them die off because they aren't right or healthy enough to mature. Usually we ovulate only one egg. So of all of the eggs that start out ready to go at the beginning of our cycles, only one will really survive.

So, if you're like me and have fewer the normal number to start with, your already 25% chance of getting pregnant each month is then lowered again by the fact that you're not producing as many eggs as you should be. In may case...By half pr even more.

Yes, it's true. Even the best of us only have a 25% chance every month. AND after 6 months that percentage goes down considerably and is likely a signal that there is something up. So girls, if it takes more than 6 months...DON'T HESITATE. Run, don't walk to your nearest Dr. Baby Maker.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Run don't walk...This public service announcement brought to you by MB! :)

    So at the risk of anyone out there facing this besides yourself rolling their eyes at this, can you tell me about what the clomid does? I'm assuming it makes you release more eggs but I hate to assume!The only thing I know about clomid is that people always put how many rounds they have had on their signatures in their journals.

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Wendy Orrison and Holly Snyder said...

    So much clearer now...thanks for explaining. :( about the eggs... I'm sorry.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home