Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Holy Hell, I Hate it When She's Right

I was 27 when Jim & I got engaged. We were, of course at my soon-to-be-in-laws' house for the event. I wasn't fully aware of MIL's foibles at that point, but I was certainly sure something wasn't right.

One of the first things she told me after Jim announced our engagement (after the bit about when you have daughters you gain a son, but when you have a son, you lose him to her family...boo-hoo), was that some doctor told her when she got married (at 20) to have all of her babies by the time she was 27. Sage advice as it turns out.

I was 27 when I had Grace. I was a month shy of 30 when Audrey was born. 31 for the ectopic. The miscarriages were all before 27, but I don't really know how to categorize them because I was in another relationship then. I will be a month shy of 33 when this baby is born.

So far, we have been through loss and IF to get here. Well, at least until I got sick last month. Sicker than I ever remember being in my life. I coughed so hard that I pulled ligaments in my back that had just started to heal.

Until yesterday. When I was sitting in an odd position and swallowed wrong.

And coughed.

Coughed hard while sitting in an odd position with sore ligaments.

And broke a rib.

Good times.

It hurts like a mother fucker. The best part is that there is nothing I can do. I can take Tylenol. Big whoop.

So, as it turns out, she was right. I should have done this before I was 27. Too bad I didn't even get engaged until then.

Oddly, the discomfort isn't what pisses me off the most. What pisses me off is that crazy woman was right.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:12 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

    Oh shit! I don't know which is worse...the broken rib or the fact that the MIL was right.

    I hope it heals quickly and doesn't cause you too much pain.

     
  • At 9:49 AM , Blogger niobe said...

    How terrifying that it was that easy to break a rib. You must be in absolutely excruciating pain and it must be almost impossible just to accomplish your day-to-day activities.

    And even if it might seem that wacky MIL was in some way "right" (and I would seriously question that), you know what they say about a broken clock.....

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Jo said...

    Dang!! I am so sorry you did that.. Owww..

    You can talk to your GP. I was able to take percocet and/or Oxy IR while pregnant with my son. They are class 2 I think, so are safe(er)

     
  • At 8:06 AM , Blogger laura said...

    a broken rib??? that sucks. as a consolation, perhaps you can take the broken fragment of that rib and jam it in your MIL's forehead.

     
  • At 12:32 PM , Blogger pithydithy said...

    Ow! And my Mom always said to have 'em all by 33 because otherwise you'll be too tired to deal with them when they're teenagers. So, see? You're fine. If you don't have any more....

    PS-- Can you tell with all my comments that I'm catching up after vacation?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home