Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Friday, September 04, 2009

The Other Side

I mentioned before (I think) that a friend down the street lost a baby girl in January. They have had many miscarriages and they keep hoping for a baby to bring home. She and I discovered our pregnancies at the same time. We have both been cautiously optimistic.

Yesterday she was admitted to the local hospital dialated to 2-3. She had been bleeding and her amniotic sac was bulging. An ultrasound yesterday revealed this baby to be a boy. Last night they thought they had it under control, but this morning she is bleeding heavily and contracting. Things are very grim.

I don't know what to do. As I've thought about being the pregnant one left to face the friend who is likely to lose her baby, I don't know what to do. I wonder what I can do to help. I kept their older daughter last night so that her husband could be at the hospital with her. I have told them to tell me what I can do going forward.

I don't know what to do. My heart is breaking for them. I feel like I am a horrible reminder of what is not going right for them. You would think that I could draw on my own experience and know what to do. I do not.

When we discovered we were pregnant and doing this together, I could only think how horrible it would be for one of us to have it end badly. We did not plan this baby and I have often thought what the hell am I doing and how am I going to manage my life now. And yet, here is my friend, losing a baby that they have so wanted. Already having had the horrible experiences that some of us know all to well, and I am at a total loss.

I want to hide. I just don't know what to do. I am scared.

Edited to add:

She has started bleeding and contracting heavily. Her amniotic sac has broken. An epidural is on its way. It's over. She's 19 weeks, 3 days. Another teeny casket. I hate this.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:09 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

    I am sorry!

    My friend had a stillborn son at 37 weeks. A couple months later I had a miscarriage, and then without trying got pregnant again. What worked for our relationship was for me to talk to her via e-mail and to make sure once I was showing that I only talked to her in person on her good days. Seeing pregnant people was very difficult for her.

    Every person grieves so differently it is hard to know what will work for them. Just make sure that you never take it personally if she seems distant.

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Blogger SWH said...

    I would suggest keep offering to do things, maybe especially doing things with their daughter so the parents would have time alone. As you offer to help maybe also add that you understand and won't be offended if they decline the help. I liked it when people kept checking on me, even after i had said that something was too much in the past.

    I'm so sorry your friend is going through so much. I'm sure she is in a lot of pain. Just acknowledging that you understand how much she's hurting and that you understand that your pregnancy will be hard for her would probably be helpful for her to hear. And then depending on your relationship and how she feels maybe you will be able to do more.

     
  • At 9:53 AM , Blogger Catherine said...

    You do the best you can. That's all any of us can do. I personally know how kind and caring and supportive you can be, so I have no doubt you will be an amazing friend. Just don't put so much pressure on yourself to be perfect. {{{hugs}}}

     
  • At 10:00 AM , Blogger The Nanny said...

    Oh, this is just so sad.

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh my Lord.
    I am SO sorry to hear all this.
    On my knees, praying for your friend.

    May she feel God's arms wrapped around her.

    So sad :(

    God Bless,
    C.

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Blogger Kathy McC said...

    I am really sorry to hear about this. (((hugs))).

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger Jillian said...

    Oh Michelle, what awful news :( I guess you and she will just muddle your way through ((hugs))

     
  • At 4:10 AM , Blogger Heather said...

    I'm so sorry for their loss. I think you are doing what you can do helping out with their daughter. Knowing what we all know, other than what you are doing is to help when you can, express your sorrow for them and try to keep quiet about your happy state. (((Hugs)))

     
  • At 9:01 AM , Blogger Ruby said...

    I'm so sorry...for what both of you are going through.

     
  • At 7:51 AM , Blogger kate said...

    I'm so sorry for your friend.

    You will figure out what to do, i am sure of it.

    (and OMG i didn't even realize you were pg! I am never on the blogs anymore...i should change that.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home