Discovering Me

Me on having babies, losing babies, trying to have babies and hoping to bring this one home.

Friday, November 10, 2006

A Little Warning, Huh?!

I love Grey's Anatomy.

Unit last night.

There was a scene where a pregnant woman was brought in after falling the shower and breaking an arm. An ultrasound goes on to reveal her baby is dead. There's the obvious anguish delivering that news involves and then follwed by a scene where the woman is giving birth to the baby.

It was awful. I cried for an hour after that and didn't sleep a wink last night. I didn't deliver Audrey naturally the way the scene showed, but I remember all too well the silence in the operating room where cries of a newborn should have been. I remember hearing my own screams and my husband's sobs. I watched the scene in Grey's last night and relived it all in painful detail.

I would have preferred a little warning. I was totally off guard even though when they showed the ultrasound screen and there was no heartbeat, I knew what was going to happen with that storyline. Part of me was grateful that they really did try to show what that horrible situation can be. What it should be but isn't.

I don't like surprises. I guess I could have turned it off. I probably should have. I couldn't and didn't.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM , Blogger Laura said...

    Oh Michelle. I'm so sorry, that's awful. I feel the same way about ER--I don't touch it anymore. I used to watch all the reruns on TNT and never missed it on Thursdays, but you never know when they're going to throw in something like that. ((hugs))

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Ugh. I made the mistake of reading an awful book today that gave me similar feelings.

    I'm glad I don't watch Grey's Anatomy.

     
  • At 1:49 PM , Blogger formerteacher said...

    Oh, Michelle, I know I don't know you personally, but when I saw that scene on Grey's Anatomy I was thinking of you. That scene made me cry, obviously, but also made me wonder if you were watching and if you were, how you were feeling. I know that no one can fathom a situation like that unless they have been there, however I hope maybe that scene will make people aware of how agonizing it is to lose a baby; to deliver a dead one. A co-worker of mine went through the same experience of an ultraousnd that showed no h/b, and of feeling no movement at 7 months gestation. It has been nearly 16 years since that horrible day of having to vaginally give birth to a dead baby, and she still remembers how that feels and tries to educate people.
    Silence when you should hear a baby's cry. Michelle, I don't know what to say.

     
  • At 6:37 AM , Blogger KB said...

    Coming a week late as usual....

    That was pretty heart wrenching. Both of us were in tears watching it. All I could think of was you, J, & Audrey.

    Still, as awful as it was, I'm glad they showed it. Too many people think nothing ever goes wrong, Unfortunately - and you know this all too well - it can and does.

    Hang in there.

    BTW, you swinging through OK on your cross-country travels?

     
  • At 10:59 AM , Blogger laura said...

    i was in a hotel room, after my father's funeral, watching grey's anatomy with my husband and my brother and my sister and her husband. justin reached over and held my hand, but the rest of the adults in the room got quiet. after the scene was over, they all abruptly decided they were too tired to stay and watch the rest of the episode and went off to their rooms.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home